Friday, January 24, 2014

Throwback


Siblings

The middle-child

Sibs

Our Brother

My beautiful Mother.

Mom and Dad
 

Practicing hand-stands on the beach.

Fresh Sea-Food

Throwback to when my family came to visit me, while I was living on the east coast. I'm not sure about you, but I have had many conversations with my family about the importance of wellness, and that if my father or mother want to be around for their grandkids (someday, far down the road) and be able to hold them, run with them, or plain keep up with them, then their health should be taken seriously.

Thought this is an issue that I believe is important, it doesn't mean that the ones you love will think the same. Sadly. I feel like, whenever a family member tries to correct, point-out, or help another family member (in love, of course) to give constructive criticism,  it isn't always received in the most effective way. 

Why? 

I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Needless to say, not long after the trip, my father went for the his annual check-up at the Doc's office  This time, the doctor told him that he had two paths to choose from: get back into shape/lose 30 pounds and start eating right, or you're going to head down the road towards diabetes, as he was standing at a crossroads. 

When my mother told me this, a part of me wanted to give my Dad a swift kick in the butt, make him cut his sugars and carbs, and hook him up with a gym that I know would help him, but that would do no good. 

Instead, I have given him the education that he needs - to at least start the weight-loss process - and a referral to a gym in his area that I feel would be good fit for him and his goals. Unfortunately, the cliche saying of, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him/her drink it," is right-on. Especially in this case.

It's hard to see your family live unhealthy lifestyles, and it's even harder when you're living thousands of miles away. I don't believe that it's a lack of wanting to change, but a lack of education, accountability, and motivation. I can only hope that one day my Dad's (and many other family members') health will take an up-hill turn, rather than moving towards a down-hill spiral.

No comments:

Post a Comment